Monday, March 13, 2017

Day 13, Proverbs Chapter 13

Order My Steps
Lisa Davis


Relating to and living by God’s word has been an up and down whirlwind. I love God and try to follow his word daily. Some days are more difficult than others. I am honest with myself and understand my struggles but I stay committed to becoming more God like.

Reading and relating to Proverbs was not too difficult. I understand the verses and agree with them. They remain relevant to our lives today. Several verses relating to my everyday will follow along with a look into my life experiences.

Verse 3
He who guards his mouth preserves his life. But he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.

As a woman it is important to me to always display “lady like behavior”. I choose to withhold put downs, insults or any words that may hurt someone. I also refrain from allowing people to put down and discuss others in a negative form in my presence.

My experience of being the person who was insulted or attacked with words has taught me to love that person because they have been hurt at some point in their life. It was difficult at first to not want to return the hurt, but I have come a long way and believe I should always display “lady like” behaviors.

Verse 5
A righteous man hates lying. But a wicked man is loathsome and comes to shame.

Lying, the act of it is emotionally uncomfortable. I most definitely lied to either keep myself out of trouble, protect someone I loved or just for the sport. Hindsight, each lie added up to nothing but turmoil for me. Every lie I told I paid the ultimate price for it. A lie told never leaves your mind. You think about it regardless of the time that has passed. Experiencing the pain or witnessing the pain felt by others taught me that lying leads to destruction. Aging and becoming wise has taught me that lying isn’t worth the thought. As a woman, to have a thought of a lie and allow it to leave your lips is shameful.

Verse 12
Hope deferred makes the heart sick. But when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.

Hope has been relevant in my life since childhood. I hoped for more than what surrounded me daily. My life experiences have strengthened me and caused me to never give up on hope, but to add action to it. My hope originated with education and learning. This hope along with my action opened doors to pursue a master’s degree and be promoted to regional manager for my organization. Although these accomplishments do not define who I am they lend inspiration to myself and others who I come into contact.

Verse 18
Poverty and shame will come to him who disdains correction. But he who regards a rebuke will be honored.

Examples and life experiences of others are teaching moments. Growing up I observed the lives of many. My family has many varieties of lifestyles and classes. I have grown up observing family members who are addicted to alcohol, drugs, handouts; who went beyond college and didn’t graduate from grade school; lower class and upper class. A decision was made early by God, my mom and myself. It was unanimous that I go beyond the normal and succeed. God already decided on this and delivered. The doors continue to open and I know a closed door is never “no” it is just an opportunity to go beyond the norm.

Verse 20
He who walks with wise men will be wise. But the companion of fools will be destroyed.

Growing up I wanted to be around the popular people. I was quiet and an introvert. I yearned to be in the mix with popular, outspoken people for the encouragement to not be myself. That feeling I had when I was in these groups was one of not belonging. I was trying to be like others instead of focusing on who I was. These groups I wanted to be part of were not wise, they were the current “in crowd”, “popular by demand”. They too were not being themselves. I starved for learning experiences. I wanted to be around people who were about “something”. I began hanging around kids who loved school, enjoyed science and math, kids who were not into the latest gym shoe but more concerned with saving every penny for college. I listened to wise elders and paid attention to those messages from teachers. I respected adults and cringed at others who showed disrespect.

I am a mother of three and a wife and as a woman I choose to live for me. I will continue to learn and nurture. I know and understand right from wrong. I live to be a positive image in the eyes of my family so they follow. I have experienced many trials and tests. I failed many but learned from each. I will continue reading and studying how to be a better woman. A 31 Proverbs woman.



© 2015 by Lisa Davis. All Rights Reserved.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa this was awesome! I love the up close and personal touch. Thanks for your insights.

Anonymous said...

A very nice read baby!

Anonymous said...

I too appreciate how you intertwined scriptures with personal references. Very nice analysis! Amy

Unknown said...

Very nice!

Unknown said...

Inspirational!